Korean Braised Tofu




I wanted to find more recipes I could use my Gochugaru (Korean chili powder) with.
When I came across this tofu dish on Aaron and Claire's Blog, I knew I had to try it and it turned out to be JUST as delicious as it looks!
I'm definitely adding this one to my collection of go to tofu dishes and I seriously can't wait to make it again. It's so easy, yet full of flavor! 
The ingredient list for the sauce seems like a lot, but trust me it's worth it for the balance you get.
(It isn't vegan, but you can easily substitute some ingredients noted below.)
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.



Ingredients:

Firm tofu

onion(1/2 a small one)

green onion 

green chili(1/2)

cooking oil

cooked rice

ground pork(100g) (Chopped mushrooms for a veg version)


Sauce-

Sugar -1.5 tbsp

Gochugaru- 2 tbsp (Korean chili pepper flakes)

Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp

Soy sauce- 4 tbsp

Sesame oil-1 tbsp

Mirin- 1 tbsp

Fish sauce 1 tbsp (vegan substitutes are available)

Minced garlic 1 tbsp

Black pepper (to your taste)


Chop green onion, onion, and chili pepper and set aside.

Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towel.

Cut it into squares

Heat oil in a large pan and shallow fry tofu.

When lightly browned on both sides, place on paper towel to absorb excess oil and set aside.


For the sauce, place all measured out ingredients into a bowl and mix well.


Heat some oil into a pan and fry the green onions add pork, and stir occasionally until pork is cooked.

Add the onion and chili, cooking for about 30 seconds before adding the sauce mixture. 

Let it cook for about 1 minute.

Pour 1 cup of water, bring to a simmer then add tofu. 

Boil for about 5-10 minutes (or until done.)


Serve with rice.








Comments