Okonomiyaki (Osaka style)





The first time I ever had Okonomiyaki was in Junior High.
We had exchange students from Japan visiting our school and Sarah C, (one of my class mates) hosted a dinner at her house for the group of the exchange students and their hosts.
Her exchange student wanted to make us a dish from Japan that none of us had ever heard of, called 'Okonomiyaki'. (Oh-Ko-No-Me-Yah-Key)
One bite of this savory cabbage pancake was mind blowing.
It was so delicious with its umami flavors, I could never seem to describe the taste of it to those who had never experienced it before... It's just REALLY freaking good!

I wasn't able to find that dish again at any restaurants (trust me, I tried looking), so I decided to make my own. 
My first attempt about 10 years ago was pretty dismal. I couldn't find a lot of the ingredients and it turned out a gooey mess.

But, thankfully, since then, there are now enough resources available to me that has given me the capability to recreate this dish the way I remembered it.

Even though this dish seems to have a lot of ingredients, it really is so simple to make.
You're basically throwing it all in a bowl, mixing it up and making a pancake.
The toppings are also so delicious, it's definitely worth finding the variety of flavors that come together making this dish the unique gem it is!

Also, if you can't find certain ingredients, there are substitutions that worked for me I will share below!

(makes about 3 pancakes)

Ingredients

Batter-
Plain Flour- 1 cup
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Cornstarch- 1 tsp
*Dashi granules mixed into 1 cup warm water (until dissolved)
*Plain Yoghurt- about 2-3 heaped tablespoons
Salt - a good dash
Extra Water (cold)

Stir in all batter ingredients together adding water until you have a smooth running, pancake batter consistency.
Set aside in fridge while prepping other ingredients and sauce.

*Substitutions-
-I used a mixture of miso paste, fish sauce and water when I could find the dashi granules and it worked amazingly.
-I used Plain yoghurt instead of the traditionally used Japanese yam, and it works great.

Base-
Cabbage - 1/2 a head, chopped (about 1.5 -2 cups)
Shrimp-  4-5, roughly chopped
Green onion- chopped
1 Egg
Pickled ginger 1 Tbsp
Oil for cooking
*Ham-diced 1 Tbsp

*Traditionally, bacon strips are used, but I had diced ham in my fridge and now it's my go to.

Place cabbage, shrimp, onion, egg and pickles in the bowl of batter.
Stir well until all ingredients are combined.
Heat oil in frying pan
Scoop about a cup of mixture into heated pan, created a rounded pancake shape with spatula.
As one side is cooking, sprinkle diced ham over the upside.
After a few minute flip over and let both sides cook until golden brown in color. (I like to cover the pan so the heat stays inside, cooking the pancake batters inside more thoroughly.
Once cooked, place on plate, add toppings and serve immediately.

Okonomiyaki sauce

-Honey 3 Tbsp
-Ketchup 2 Tbsp

-Soy 2 Tbsp
-Worceshire 2 Tbsp

Mix all sauces together in a bowl really well.
Set aside until pancakes are done.

Topping's

-Okonomiyaki sauce (You can buy pre-made or see above for easy recipe)
-Aonori- (seaweed flakes)
-Kewpie (Japanese mayo)
-Green (spring) onions- chopped
-Bonita flakes

Place on pancake right after the pancakes are off the griddle (in order listed above)
(You want the Okonomiyaki to be hot)... watch those bonita flakes dance!

"Itadakimasu!"














Comments