Asian Steamed Fish


I'm obsessed with a good white fish.
My mum always made cod growing up, so I keep packaged fillets of it in the freezer ready to go for recipes just like this one.
I will share more fish recipes soon, (since I'm obsessed) that I grew up eating, but this one happened to come along more recently.
I wanted to eat some light and healthy, but still very filling.
I came this recipe on several Youtube channels and am not totally sure who to credit it to, so I thought I'd just link them all below!
(And hopefully start making my own videos at some point and share it too!)

I'm made it a few times now and crave this dish every now and then, so I thought I'd share it with you while I'm making it for dinner today and kill time while waiting for my fish to steam!

Ingredients

1 Fish fillet (I used cod)
Water for steaming
Lemongrass (optional) Bottom of stalks halved
Green Onion -White end Halved and green ends chopped
Rice Wine- 1 Tbsp
Ginger- I inch julienned
Garlic- 2 clove chopped
Red Chili's- 2 chopped
Cilantro (Optional) chopped

Sauce-
Cooking Oil- 1-2 Tbsp
Soy sauce 1/4 cup
Chicken stock 3 Tbsp
Sesame oil 1/2 tsp

Wash and clean fish then pat dry with paper towels.
Heat water for steaming in pan (if you don't have a steamer, see link below for 'foi'l option).
Place lemongrass stalks, white onion ends and cilantro ends on plate for steaming and place fish fillet on top.
Drizzle with the rice wine and place a few pieces of ginger on top of fish.
Let steam for approximately 10-15 mins (depending on size of fillet)

While steaming, make a quick sauce in a pan-
Add sauce soy, chicken stock, rice wine and sesame oil. Heat through and set aside.

Once cooked, transfer fish (without the aromatics) to serving plate and pile on the copped garlic, ginger chili and greens onions.

Heat oil in pan.
First pour oil only over fish.
Follow by pouring heated sauce mixture and serve.
(I served with rice, chicken broth I make for 'Chicken Rice' and a simple Chinese spinach dish shared here: Asian Greens)



Credit to YouTubers:
Marion's Kitchen
Nyonya Cooking
CiCi Li





Comments